Friday, July 13, 2007

First chapter extension 2 edit

The following day when she came home from her day’s filming, she found Regan in the kitchen surrounded by paste papers and crayons. The child reached up and flung herself upon her mother.
“What're ya drawin', baby?” Chris asked, kissing her daughter’s face.

“Oh, you, me and Daddy when we were in Rome.” She smiled.
Rome. Chris remembered. Two years ago they had spent a wonderful time there, in a cottage, with woods and trees and miles of grass all around them. Howard had made them huge swings… and is that what she’s drawing? Yes it is. Regan on her mother’s lap, Howard pushing the swing really high.
"Finish your math already?"
"Yep."
"That's my baby. Whadda ya want to do now?"
Regan thought, nibbling her lips.
"I'm going to write a poem!" she announced her burst of inspiration.
"What a good idea." Chris smiled serenely at the happy child. Does she know her freckles dance when she smiles like that? Does she know how much I love her that it kills me to leave the house every morning?
"What's the poem going to be about?"
"You!"
"Me? You can't think of anything more interesting?"
Regan snickered shaking her head, making her red hair swirl as if a halo.
"'K, Sweetheart. Have fun."
Her cheeks were flushed strawberry pink from laughing. Her eyes so alive. You are having fun, aren't you, Rags?
The telephone rang.
Sharon had popped her head in silently. “It’s for you, Chris.”
"Who is it?"
"Agent."
"Ugh." Can he sense me having a good time? Why does that bastard want to snatch my daughter's laughter from me?
Sharon snapped her head out of the doorway and walked down the hall. Chris shifted her eyes to Regan.
"I'm sorry, baby. Why don't you write your poem and I'll be back in a few minutes to read it?"
"Okay."
"I'll be back in two shakes of a lamb's tail. Promise."
I wish those people would leave you alone, Momma. I miss you! Regan smiled a little to protect her mother from her disappointment.

"What's up?" She sat in her office, in her comfortable chair. Cozy. Hateful. He droned on for almost an hour. I'm giving him 10% for this? What?
"What?! You're kidding! Well to Hell with that!"
Regan walked across the room toward her mother.
"Momma... I finished. Read it. Momma?"
Chris dug her nails into the arm of the chair.
"Wait, Regan... What? No, not you. I don't care what he wants, I've worked too damn hard to-"
"Momma... Please read it. I made it just for you. I-" Regan’s voice mingled with the agent’s voice. Chris felt her scalp tightening and a sudden impulse to run from the house.
"Don't you see I'm on the phone?!" She shouted.
Regan pulled back. Shaking. Her poem trembled in her hands. She turned, and ran from the room.
"I'll call you back... When I'm good and ready, THATS when!"
She nearly broke the phone's cradle as she slammed it down. Goddamn it!

29 comments:

Sofia_ said...

Oh my GOodness!! I LOVE this so much!! You're the best Jane!! I'm euphoric! I cannot wait to read the rest!!

Sofia_ said...

HAHA!! What Chris said was so funny! I can really imagine Shirley saying that! You know her too well already!

Sofia_ said...

And Blatty should read our passages! Isn't there a way to show him?

Monster-Maniac said...

My goodness! I'd be so shy! For the writer of my favorite book to read something I wrote... What if he doesn't like it? :) And the bigger problem is, How would we know it was really him and not someone playing a trick on us? Ryan speaks with his wife... Maybe we should talk to him?

Monster-Maniac said...

Still here, Sof? :)

Sofia_ said...

Ryan speaks with his wife? Is that true?

And Jane, what you wrote is incredible. It was so touching, really. I'm reading it again!

Sofia_ said...

So sorry! I took so long to reply. I was on the phone.
Hope you're still there!

Ah and about sweet Blatty, caps said he probably checks out the forum :D

Monster-Maniac said...

Really? That's very sweet of him. I love your writing, Mr. Blatty! I'm going to be a writer. Whether I'm good or bad is another matter altogether. I'm going to do my best, and if it's good, you get to take credit for being my inspiration. If it's bad, you're off the hook.

Sofia_ said...

Please trust me, you'll be the best writer ever!
And I say the same thing to Blatty. I love him beyond words!!

Btw, I adore the term Momma. It's so sweet. Isn't it from the South?

Monster-Maniac said...

Just between you and me, I'm reading Petals on the wind by V C Andrews and the girl in that book uses it all the time. Also, I can hear Regan saying it ;)

Sofia_ said...

I honestly can't read the novel wihout these passages included. :D But ya know, I have the whole book memorized, that's why I really want an extension, so I could read something new to the story.

I'm not sure if you feel the same way. ;)

Monster-Maniac said...

Every time I read a book by him, I wish it would never end... Now we can add to it!

Sofia_ said...

Oh god!! You mean Flowers in the Attic?? I love that book so much! I don't have any of the sequels, though. :(( I'll have to order.

Monster-Maniac said...

Yep. It's not my usual type, but I liked it. It was a new style to me. Girls can write too!!! :D

Sofia_ said...

And yes, I like Momma a lot better than Mother lol. Mother sounds formal. And Sachi called Shirley Mama, so that's why I used it.

Btw, have you seen the movie, Flowers in the Attic? I like it but the novel is so superior.

Monster-Maniac said...

I've wanted to since I read the book, but I haven't yet. When I see it in a store, I'll buy it!

Sofia_ said...

I could send you a copy, but I already know you don't feel comfortable with net people haha.

And for how long can you stay, Jane? Do you want to keep writing Karras & Kinderman's passages?

Another question, how many times have you read the novel? ;)

Monster-Maniac said...

Oh, no, You're cool. :D I've read Exorcist twice and Legion twice... Not much, but it's only been 2 and something years since I saw the movie! October 31, 2004... I remember it well. I've seen it at least 10 times since!

Sofia_ said...

I just read your post about us on your Frankestein blog. It was so sweet what you wrote! I tried to comment, but it didn't go through
:((
I'll try again :D

Ah, since you've read the novel only twice, you probably don't feel the need for an extension yet. Am I right? :))

And I first saw The Exorcist in 2000. I was 15 and it was the original version. I couldn't sleep for days lol! But I've never watched a movie so many times as I have watched The Exorcist. Around 1000 times?
lol, I watch my favorite movies over and over.. HEHE

Monster-Maniac said...

I still want extensions! And your comment probably did go thru, but I set it to send comments to my email first ;)

Sofia_ said...

Hmm, how do I add a display pic like yours?
I can't seem to find... Dumb Sofi.

Monster-Maniac said...

Oh, be nice to Sofi! Dashboard, Edit Profile. photograph. You upload a pic on another site (I use this http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/ ) and Copy the url in the bottom box and paste it to Photo url. I can do it for you if you like :)

Sofia_ said...

I think I was able to do it. :D Let's see if my pic shows up.

Monster-Maniac said...

You did it! Very nice pic!

Sofia_ said...

Same pic as in the forum lol.
I'm gonna get something to eat. ;))
Brb.

Oh, I forgot to say that I really loved Regan's thought. It huts momma, I miss you.

Blatty should've written her thoughts too, but he never did. :(

Monster-Maniac said...

Very good. I like it, but I'm not sure about Chris grabbing her arm... It's possibly a little too harsh. Just my feeling. This is yours and you don't have to change a thing for anyone. :D

Sofia_ said...

No no no...This is ours. I love your advice!
And I guess it sounded as if Chris was losing her mind haha!

Sofia_ said...

There.. I changed Chris grasping her arm. You were right. It was harsh!

Monster-Maniac said...

I like her wanting to run from the house. It shows how overwhelmed she is!